First my standard disclaimer. This blog is for information only. I don’t warranty any of the info and I’m rarely right so use common sense. With scuba gear always consult a professional.
About a year or so ago I picked up a used inexpensive Zeagle Ranger BC. I had used them at the squad and really liked it. On the first dive or two I noticed it was a bit different than the other Zeagle rangers folks had. The first thing was that it didn’t have a chest strap at all. My first thought was I was just going to purchase a upper section to gain the strap. After looking at other BC’s I realized that the buckle size was different as well. Thus I began my hunt on EBay for a used Ranger BC that had the chest strap. It took a few months but I did purchase one. After setting them side by side I could see many differences. Here is a short list:
- No chest strap on the older BC
- The upper straps on the older BC are straight instead of the curved.
- The ranger logo on the older BC is embroidery where the newer one is plastic or rubber.
- All of the buckets are smaller on the old BC which prevents you from crossing from old to new
- The outer pockets velcro where the newer BC is zippered on both the weight section and pocket section.
- The folding pocket on the old one is a single chamber. The newer has two flaps.
- The lift strap on the old one is just nylon webbing material and doesn’t have the grip area the new one does.