07/14/2011 – After removing the IF board from the TS-430 I could see some issues right off hand. The top site of the board was realitivly clean although I noticed some excess thermal compound on the regulators which gave me a hint that this IF board had been repaired at some point. Getting it out I could see lots of oxidation, burn traces at one of the regulators and at least one connect that had ripped the traces from the board. Tonight I cleaned up much of the board tested all the diodes on the rear of the board, and repaired the 5V traces. At this point the radio seems to work but I don’t have very good recieve and it still only transmits on some bands. On the bands it does transmit on it does full output which is a good sign. I’ll be working on the IF board for the next few days as its in bad shape on the rear side.
07/18/2011 – Well thus far, I have replaced the traces on the 5V regulator with jumpers as the eyelets were missing and that area of the board wasn’t in very good shape. I also located a burnt or gouged trace which will need repair. A missing eyelet was found on Connector 10 and I ended up glueing the connector to the board and replacing the trace with a wire. After looking at the board from the top I’ve noticed several missing caps. I expect someone has tried to repair this board and during checking cold solder joints they may of pushed the caps off the board without noticing.
07/19/2011 The gouged trace has been repaired. Now the IF section seems to be working at least a stage or two away from the audio section. I ended up with a TX issue which was a bad connection at the molex connector which slowed progress on the IF board issues.