www.shaneburrell.com Telecom – Electronics – HAM Radio – Test Equipment – Rescue

7Oct/150

Tap Clamp

I picked up a "almost" complete lot of machining tooling for a set of lathes.  One item that was missing was a clamp for the tapping head.  I reasoned out a quick idea of how it worked and what was missing and did a quick sketch in Fusion and produced a quick part without the outer filet.  I also drilled the corners so I wouldn't need to broach the corners. Saying still holds, if you can't find it, make it.

TAPCLAMP

TAPCLAMP2

Share with others!
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someoneDigg this
7Oct/150

Making something better. Hacking Lawnmowers. Deck Shaft Disconnect.

Sometimes I get something I really like and discover a big flaw in it's design. In the following case, my nice shiney new riding mower deck shaft had just given way again.  I believe this was the third failure.

The pot metal frame and weak steel direct shaft was a problem and after spending several hundred dollars over the past few years I decided to do something about it.  Off to the big shop.  After some quick layout in Fusion 360 and a quick 3d print of the housing for test fit, I started work on the shaft while the mill was cutting the housing.  I've gotten 2 complete mowings now before fall and it works great.  I was pressed for time on this but I did manage to snap a few photos of the new shaft and threading.

I also had to slightly modify a new tool holder I purchased as the ways were too tight for my liking so that took a bit of time to finish up.  Now I have a nice shiney new dedicated HSS cut off holder and a mower that won't fail me.

As a benefit the deck has never ran smoother and of course within an hour of mowing I found a bend cable plow blade.  The new shaft disconnected like it should and no damage to the mower.
IMG_0942

 

IMG_0939

IMG_0940

IMG_0941

Share with others!
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someoneDigg this