Things that happen when machining. Haimer 3D probe repair. Machining some softjaws.
My first week experience with the Haimer 3d Universal Probe did not go great. With in 30 minutes I had broken a tip. A few days later while running a part the probe fell from the BT40 ATC pot and damaged it. I contacted the manufacture and was advised repairs were not possible. No parts other than the probe tips are available.
At this point the expensive indicator was a door stop so I decided to disassemble it. I began assessing the damage, zeroing the indicator via 4 grub screws, and clean up of the rubber boot ring. I used my lathe to check out the probe position and accuracy. It now works just fine.
About 12 years ago I constructed a 285 foot gravel drive down to my shop with a Massey Ferguson 1250. It was smooth enough to get cars, trucks, and trailers down with ease. Over the years I maintained it by keeping the crown cut and compaction of the travel lanes broken up. Last year the erosion of the left track outran my maintenance and it became a 4×4 only drive. I recently aquired a GC-1720 Sub-Compact Tractor to fix an maintain the property.
The first step in the revitalization of the drive way was to use a 5 foot rotary cutter to remove all the growth next to the driveway. That also required some some backhoe work to remove some of the larger root systems of bushes and trees.
I used a 4 ft box blade at a forward angle making 2-3 trips over the same area to break up the existing gravel. This process filled many of the pot holes and some of the left track. Areas that had not been washed out, the road-bond (Gravel / Fines) looked fresh with the vegetation removed.
With a box-blade, it just requires patience to get the ground broken up especially with a sub compact tractor. I was using a new Massey Ferguson GC-1720 TLB. Lesson’s learned on the GC-1720 TLB below:
4 Ft Box Blade is the Max.
5 Ft Scraper Blade is ideal.
4 Ft Rotary Blade is ideal.
Backhoe Float takes getting used to but it does wonders for flat ditches/trenches and for leveling fill. I really like it.
No 3 Pt position control. This hasn’t been an issue per say but took a day or so of getting used to. The 3 points works like a normal hydro spool. There is a down valve to help with controlling flow on downward action of the 3 point.
The seat transition is hit or miss. Sometimes it does exactly what you intend and other times its a downright PIA.
Fuel consumption is great. About 6 gallons for two days work.
Backhoe removal is less than 10 minutes. Surprisingly easy and fast. Just watch where you put the hydro lines.
PTO shaft has a plastic cover with 13MM (1/2″) Screws that need to be removed to use the PTO.
Once the ground was un-compacted the box can be leveled and its easy to pull a full box wherever you need it. The GC 1720 doesn’t have positional control but does have control of the lower speed. You just have to be careful with bringing the blade back up as it is always full speed.
I did ditch cutting by putting the box blade at a sharp angle and “driving the ditch”. After cutting ditch areas down I used the front end loader to move excess to the center and eroded areas to “level” it up. I made a few finish passes with the box at slight angle to crown the surface.
I plan on putting down an additional 4″ of road bond during the spring time.
AX.25 encode is complete and seems to work well. AX.25 decode works, but I have a special mode and also have a CTCSS listen setup to remotely turn on that mode. Still some items to do , but its almost time to put this on a board. If you are interested in this project please let me know. I was able to get my Brother Laser printer to work with the toner transfer method after some trial and error. I had great results using a Brother HL-4070CDW and Kodak inkjet photo paper using a iron and being very patient with the soak.