I’ve taken on yet another TS-430 and ran into an issue with whats coming off the PLL board. I traded a TS-430 I had purchased as non-working which I repaired/tuned for a unit in very nice shape cosmetically but not working. Another HAM back on the air, but now I have another TS-430 to figure out. I suspect this may be an issue with VCO signals coming to the PLL but after spending several hours getting to this point, I’ve put the project down for a bit to work on my workshop. Hopefully someone on a list somewhere has seen this before and I’ll hear back from someone by the next time I pick this project up.
After getting thru most of the alignment I’ve moved onto the PLL. The board appeared to be in good shape visually but after doing the first initial checks at TP1 I realized there was a problem. After carefully removing it I noticed a small gouge on the edge of the board which had broken trace connectivity. I repaired that with a small bit of foil and solder. I also realized that the caps had been replaced by the previous owner with larger volt caps which normally doesn’t cause an issue except the fit was too tight and smaller 10V caps are of preference on this board so they fit nicely. I continued on after removing the caps and ordering parts from Mouser to replace the large 50V rated caps with the 10V. So more waiting.
After replacing the caps and a complete the alignment the TS-430S now works at least as well as it did new.